Monday 5 March 2012

Review: The Shrine


Alright, I know it’s been less than a week, but I think I will start now. I didn’t have a clue what I wanted to start with, and whether I’d do a positive review or a negative one. So I thought I’d start with a nice movie, which I found… interesting.

This week: The Shrine (2010)

For those of you who don’t know, The Shrine is a movie about a journalist who goes to investigate the disappearance of a young man, in a completely made-up Polish town. If you didn’t gather from the name, of course it is implied to be of supernatural causes. I know it does sound all interesting and good, but this is only the beginning.

We move on to a truly mind boggling scene in which the main character is visited by the very angsty ghost of the missing man. A scene I will add has nothing to do with the rest of the movie. Really, watch it and try to connect it with anything else that happened. This was probably ten minutes in.

As we move on, the main trio travels to the man’s last known location. It is there that the confusion level revs up, helped along by weird editing techniques that probably should have been thought out a little but more.

I will say, the story itself was very interesting. To a point. After a while I lost interest in the story and instead shuddered at the technique. I personally believe some of the shots would have worked better if they had cut it differently. Forget quick cuts, move the camera back and forth. And make the recorded audio more realistic.

I don’t want to give too much more away, so let me say this. It was advertised as a horror movie. I found myself laughing at it and overall questioning exactly what it was I had just watched. Don’t get me wrong. Great concept for a story.  Just not that great a movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment